Wednesday 8 March 2017

Setting the Scene

As the models for the bulk of the planned army are depicted as moving at speed I want to create the impression of fast moving troops leaping over cover. To do this I have been looking around for the
stumps, logs, bits of statue and other obstacles to place on the base for the models to be crossing. The current plan is to pin the models in place which I haven't had to do before so that should be good practice but with half a mind to use magnets instead for some models so they can be used on other bases. The models from the Hordes range would be good for this as I could then use them for that game on the round bases they come with.

I already have some blasted tree stumps from WWS and also some Vallejo Still Water from another mini-project so stumps and puddles are already a possibility.


Blasted

I have also seen some nice Masterclass Scenics and Kromlech tree parts so those could be bought and I won't need to break out the Milliput to make any.
Kromlech

Masterclass



Whilst browsing around I came across some nice statue bits from Mastercrafted which might make a good perch for a Gargoyle and Scibor do some excellent broken statue parts. I suspect the real problem will be getting all these bits onto the base, I also plan to use cork lumps to make rock shapes.

Mastercrafted

Scibor













The plan at present will be to make a sand and glue base which will be painted over in earth tones with the extra scenic bits on and then to use grass mix by 4Ground over the top with maybe some bushes/flowers by Gamers Grass to add some colour. I think this will be the subject of a few trial runs before I can decide on the finished look.
The bases themselves I may get from War Bases as I doubt I can get as clean a look as a laser cutter. I keep thinking that a laser cutter would be a great bit of kit to have, then I see the prices for a decent cutting size and go back to dreaming.

To close off this time these are the 2nd set of figures I painted after I came back to gaming, most of the 'skill' is provided by Army Painter Quickshade's via the dip & flick method.

40k Tau







No comments:

Post a Comment