Tuesday 26 December 2023

Twilight Kin: Christmas Elf

What can be more in keeping with the festive spirit and Elves, unless of course they are power crazed, sadistic murderous Elves of course.

I've been continuing to work through the Twilight Kin and have managed to add quite a few options over the last couple of weeks. First up though are a second Regiment of Impalers to add to the other one I already have so I can  field a Horde of them. I expect that I'd only field Regiments when playing in the smaller scale battles of KoW:Ambush so having two Regiments gives me some flexibility in list building.




Here's the two Regiments together as they would appear in a normal sized KoW battle, I do like the portal I added onto the base and I have a few more to scatter throughout the force.



Next up we have the Impaler hero model, the aptly named Impaler Soulbane. As it is dual wielding axes it loses the Big Shield rule that helps the standard Impalers survive but does pick up an extra Crushing Strength and has the same number of attacks as the Impaler Regiment on a base 1/3 of the size, this beast would need some shielding from attacks but looks set to do good work into the flanks or rear of the enemy.




The TK don't have lots of ranged options but the Voidtouched Weavers give two different ranged profiles in one unit. The standard option is for Fireball which is a 12" attack that deals Shattering to the enemy unit, this lowers it's nerve in the following test by 1. The Lightning Bolt option gives an attack with double the range and some Piercing but you can only take a maximum of three units with it. I'm not sure as a TK player you really want to lean into the ranged attacks and I personally prefer to keep my chaff units cheap, but it's good to have the option to change things up without needing to paint new models.





Then we have more hero options, I painted up a couple of models from the League of Infamy set to use, the cast is La'theal Bleakheart who is a unique caster hero with a good group of spells to choose from. One of her special abilities allows her to also deal damage when cast Windblast, I've not really used Windblast in the past but it's a good tool (in the right hands) to move your opponent about and off objectives.
The other model is actually a Vampire but she looked in keeping with the others and I think could be a second Void Captain if I needed one.







I'm not planning on using many bound units but the Butcher Fleshripper came in the box so it got painted up. It's a good model with plenty of character and it does offer a rare Def 5+ unit in the army at a reasonable price so it could be another unit looking to get into flanks or perhaps as a token carrier.




Summoner Crone's have been touted as a key unit in the Twilight Kin army with many of the lists I've seen so far having two if not three included. With much of the army being Def 4+ the chance to take multiple instances of Weakness (which effectively increases your defence) which can also cause damage is seen as being key. As the TK don't pact much shooting then having spells that cause damage and an effect is very efficient.




The resin version in the army sets comes on a mount so I'll need to get a couple of foot versions as well to cover eventualities but the La'theal model could also stand in as a standard Crone. 



Lastly we have the Void Captain on foot, or in the this case the prow of a ship. There is also a version on board a Void Skiff as well but I'll model that one up later in the project.
The Twilight Kin have several units that interact with the Keywords associated with the other units in the list. The Void Captain is a fairly simple example in that she gives all Corsair units +1 nerve if they are within 6".


To help me keep track of the various interactions I knocked up a quick spreadsheet to visualize them. These interactions will also help to form battlegroups on the table, so if for instance you have several units of Void Wardens then you want a Captain close by to bump their nerve up. Once you throw a Navigator into the mix then things become more complicated, I have yet to stick mine together though. 






Here we have all the models I've painted for the army thus far, it's a good start but I still have plenty of new units to paint and of course repeats of units I've already done.



No comments:

Post a Comment