Sunday 22 May 2022

Deadzone: Battle for Magnetar City - Patrol

 This week the Deadzone summer global campaign kicked off, The Battle for Magnetar City. The website is being used to set the scene and also collect the results so we can see which faction is winning in each district. Each week a special condition will be available to add to you game, this week it was a scavenger that needed to be captured. The scavenger would be randomly place on the board at the end of Turn 1 and would be worth 4 VP's when captured, as we played at 200 points a total of 20 VP's would be needed to win. We played the Patrol mission which has 4 control points ( 2 * 2 VP's & 2 * 1 VP's).


We'd not played Deadzone for a little while but the rules are so straight forwards it didn't take long to get back into the swing of things. Mr T brought his Forge Fathers and I went with the Veer-myn list I intend to take to a competition later in the year.


Whilst checking the lists I noticed that the Forge Fathers decided to play on hard mode by leaving a Militia-dwarf in the box. They went with a reasonably elite force of hard hitters with plenty of melee power in the form of four Brokkr's

1 * Chief Brokkr
3 * Brokkr
2 * Militia - only 1 used
1 * Brakkarim - Hailstorm Cannon
1 * Magma Issilgarim
1 * Forge Guard
1 * Iron Ancestor - Twin Hailstorm & Heavy Hammer


I've discussed my list before but essentially it's got a good amount of anti-armour and fast units, so should do well against slower and more armoured opponents.

1 * Master Creeper + Smoke Grenade
5 * Stalker
2 * Nightmare
1 * Night Terror with Spitter
2 * Malignus - Heavy Ray Gun
1 * Malignus - Chem Spitter
2 * Creeper


One thing that hadn't occurred to me before was how full my deployment zone would be with a large force, against an enemy with plentiful indirect fire this could be an issue. I will need to have some practice around setting up to avoid being wiped out on the starting line.


The Forge Fathers of course had no such issues as they only had nine models, the only minor issue is that the Iron Ancestor being size 4 fills a cube on it's own.


My plan in general was to rush up onto the objectives with my cheap Stalkers and then hope to kill off enough FF's to get over the 20 VP's. My my speedy troops I also hoped to be able to pickup the 4 VP's for the scavenger.




As luck would have it the Scavenger popped into existence in a square adjacent to my forces.


He was then promptly hit by an 8-train riding Nightmare and died in one round.


Obligatory 8-train


The rest of the game saw the Veer-myn whittle down the Forge Fathers who having started with a lower model count suffered with each loss. 


The Veer-myn did lose a couple of Stalkers and a Nightmare but mostly they managed to stay alive and keep scoring points on the objectives.



In the end the Veer-myn ran away 25-5 VP's at the end of turn 4 with most of the Forge Fathers being killed they had been reduced to four models left.


Things I took away from this is that the Veer-myn list seems pretty nasty, but it's hard to tell after only one game. I did forget the scout move on the Creepers which would have seem them on objectives on Turn 1, so I need to remember that in the future. The Forge Fathers did suffer a little from low model count so an extra body would have helped, but I'm not sure it would have changed the outcome.



No comments:

Post a Comment