Monday 18 April 2022

Deadzone: Veer-Myn

A little while back I signed myself up for my first ever wargames competition, the UK Deadzone Masters taking place at Mantic HQ in September. Whilst this is still a fair while off I'd been giving some thought to what faction I'd like to take and what sort of list would cover all the bases. As I had the models from the new 2 player starter set unbuilt I thought it would be good to make use of some of them for this project. After some thought and the purchase of a few extra models I came up with the list below.


One unit that didn't make the cut was the Pack Leader who was the command model in the box, whilst the model itself looks great I'm not in love with the stats so decided to go with a different leader.


The list I drew up was this:

1 * Master Creeper with Smoke Grenade
5 * Stalker
2 * Nightmare with Twin Combat Drills
1 * Night Terror with Spitter
2 * Malignus with Heavy Ray Gun
1 * Malignus with Chem Spitter
2 * Creeper

This gives 14 units at 19 VP's at 200 points. 14 units is on the higher side for Deadzone though pure spam units will have more and 19 VP's is pretty average.


For my Leader I went with the Master Creeper and I wanted to have a good looking model to lead the pack so I've used the Birthing Daughter from Kings of War to represent it. The style of the Ratkin and Veer-Myn is very similar so models can easily been swapped between the two armies.


With a Recon of 3+ you stand a good chance of winning the recon phase of a game and thus deciding which deployment zone they want, if you want to move first or not, and rolls on the recon table, so three good reasons to win it if you can. The leader special is also quite nice and gives some ability to knock enemies off objectives and pin them. Attacking a pinned enemy gives a bonus in melee so the close up fighters in the strike team can certainly make use of this.



If you are fighting several games in a competition you are very likely to come up against Walkers or other heavily armoured models so you need a way to deal with them. One way is to bring some high AP with you and if that is on a fast tough platform then so much the better. 


I think the Rampage rule (which can see you lose control of a wounded model for 1 round on an unlucky roll) will put some people off the Night Terror. But for a low cost of only 22 points you get Range 5, AP3 on a speed 2-3 model with 4 HP, that's a lot for not a lot in my view.



I wanted to be able to cover all the bases with the Strike Team so I've included a couple of Nightmare's for their melee potential. Fighting and Saving on a 4+ with 3 HP and 1 Armour means they will be hard to kill and they get Frenzy (2) with the twin drills (can re-roll 2 misses in melee) so they will make the most of the dice they generate. 


In an ideal world they will be charging into pinned opponents to generate the extra dice and then make mince-meat of what ever they just hit.



When I was playing against Mr T's Forge Fathers with my Asterians I realised who much they hated Dismantle. This rules means that when a model with that keyword causes damage to a vehicle, walker, or construct it automatically does a bonus point of damage. I suspect that Asterians may be quite popular and walker units certainly will be so these chaps could be quite handy. The Hacker & Engineer specials could also be useful if the scenarios include interactive terrain. 




Longer range support is going to be provided by the Malignus units, their job will be to lay some fire down whilst the melee troops get in close to try and finish the enemy off. These units both have decent AP and Hacker as a bonus.





Lastly we have the Stalker units, these are cheap and fast but also Fight on a 4+ so no easy push-over if they get the charge off. Their probably fate will be to rush up the board and try to tie up enemy shooters whilst the more expensive units do the real damage.




And here's the whole gang, I need to get some games in to see how well this all works and if any changes need to be made to the team.


No comments:

Post a Comment