Sunday 7 July 2019

Undead: The Four Horsemen

I had started planning out and next (and possibly final) Kings of War army. With a load of Undead on the way from Fireforge and having swapped out my long awaited Mierce Werewolves for more Wraiths and Skeletons it was really only a case of getting a theme and building an army list around that.
I had settled on a list when Mantic announced the impending release of KoW v3, this came the day after I'd placed the order for the extra models required so I'm hoping that nothing much changed in the relative usefulness and availability of the units I have planned out.
I had decided upon the theme of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse with each Horseman leading a different section of the army and each section depicting the same land but under the effects of the different Horseman. This should give me plenty of scope to create some interesting basing schemes but will involve some effort to make the whole army appear cohesive. For the description of the Horsemen I settled on one that  tallied with my recollections of reading Good Omens many moons ago:

Death on his pale horse,
Famine with his scales,
War carrying a sword,
and Pestilence with his crown.

The last Horseman is often depicted with a Bow and is also called Conqueror and Plague but Good Omens picks out the Crown as it's special feature.

Albrecht Dürer Woodcut

Having planned out a list which of course now is quit probably subject to some revision I then divided up the list into 4 sections for each Horseman.
The first section is that lead by War, who will be being played by one of the Fireforge models. I'm not yet sure if it will be one of the knights from the box-set or perhaps a modified Aylard with a head-swap, much will depend upon how the models are put together. Venkhalt would be an obvious choice to use but with his crown he would seem to fit in better elsewhere.



The rest of War's entourage will consist of


The Revenant Cavalry and Lykanis will be Mantic models and the scene will be set with a suitably war-like covering of dead mean and beasts and plenty of blood.
Revenant Cavalry are excellent chaff which can hit hard but also have the advantage of being fearless which means you can never get stuck behind them due to wavering. They are also Shambling which means they can be surged but cannot move at the double. I also like having a fast, nimble, tough unit that can pick up and carry tokens, so the Lykanis is a perfect fit for that role, I just hope that the scenarios in v3 still have a need for that kind of unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment