Sunday 11 March 2018

Bases Maketh the Model

Having completed the painting of some extra beasts from Mythic Battles to stand in as beast packs for my Herd army I got them based up. I have already completed two Troops worth so had the basic scheme to follow and decided to complete the bases of some other Mythic Battles models I had based up to use in Kings of War.
It is interesting to see how much a little time spent on the base can really lift as model, even putting in my normal minimal effort.
So a couple of before pictures for the Gryphon and Snake show a rather flat feel to the models.


Having decided to go with a darker more winter grass feel for the Herd I based up the models I had in with the same theme.

The whole gang
This will mean going back to the Lycans I have already based and changing them over to the new scheme, I also need to reduce the base size for the big fella down to a 40mm square. But that will be a job for another day.
For the main units of Beast Packs I used GW Gryph hounds which I got from Ebay, these are really nice models with plenty of action going on. Two troops of these will be a minimum for any Herd army I think as they can be used to screen the Lycans due to there high speed and being nimble.



For the second set I used some of the models from the Mythic Battles game and in order to be able to play them in both games created some movement trays.


It was a simple job to add a sheet magnet to each models base and then another one on the movement tray, this gives more than enough hold to keep the model in place as it is moved around the table.


I tried using a bronze dry brush over the rough iron metal colour that I have used on my Kin and really liked the effect on the Lycans bracers, this may be another thing I go back and do on the main Lycan models when I rebase them.


The monsters and hero I had already completed then got the same treatment and are now ready to be used on the field of battle.





3 comments:

  1. looks good - liking the basing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even stuck some tufts on them as I know you like them so much.

      Delete