Sunday 25 March 2018

A New Herd

Having completed my Twilight Kin and three armies for SAGA I had planned on painting up all the Mythic Battles: Pantheon models I have, but the arrival of some late Christmas purchases has derailed that slightly. I had been planning on starting a second Kings of War army once the Greeks had been finished but the Shael Han models from Wrath of Kings have been calling me from my 'shelf of shame'.

The Two Butox's

The Herd are a animal / beast men based army and Mantic included them in the Uncharted Empires book along with other armies ex-Warhammer players could use their models for. The army includes several fast moving hammer units in such as the fearsome Stampede and the Lycans who I have already fielded alongside the Twilight Kin. It also contains a wider choice of monster units and cheap combat infantry but lacks much in the way of shooting. As a result it is a much more in your face close combat army than the Kin. The Herd heroes include Shamans who not only have inspiring and Bane Chant included in their base abilities but can also take a potent heal. The army special rule is Pathfinder so terrain should not be as much of a hindrance for The Herd. As I already have two hordes of Lycans I already had the fastest moving elements of the army well covered so I just need to add some more durable units to go with them. The Twilight Kin fielded Regiment sized units on the whole so for The Herd I decided to go down a more Horde based route. I like to plan out a base force and then add some extra units on of which I may only field one at a time to give some options and variation.
The base army will be:
1 * Horde Tribal Warriors - a infantry unit with good nerve and average armour
2 * Horde Guardian Brutes - large infantry with good armour and lots of attacks but lacking Pathfinder
2 * Horde Lycans - large, fast, regenerating infantry, my cavalry stand-in
2 * Troops Tribal Hunters - infantry chaff with throwing weapons
2 * Troops Beast Pack - very fast melee chaff
1 * Brutox - fast, regening monster with a good number of attacks
2 * Shaman - mounted, inspiring, bane chanting and healing

To the base army I plan to have the option to add some of the following:
1 * Horde Giant Eagles - fast, flyers who pack a reasonable punch
1 * Horde Tribal Chariots - fast with a good melee and ranged punch but on a v.large base
1 * Horde Stampede - fast with lots of attacks and hits like a truck
1 * Great Totem - cheap unit that cannot move but buffs the nerve of nearby units
1 * Avatar of the Father - flying monster which hits hard and has high nerve
1 * Lycan Alpha - fast monster with regen
1 * Guardian Champion - cheap monster with good armour
1 * Chimera - cheap(ish) flying unit that packs a good punch
Extra Beast Packs and Tribal Hunters
At least one extra Shaman and a few other hero units on foot.

Beast Packs and Mounted Shaman
I have already chosen the models for all the units and have a plan for how I want to base them up once completed. I want some units to be more focal point units with a greater visual impact so I want to up the modelling on the Eagles, Chariots and Totem to make them more interesting. I also plan to have the Tribal Warrior Horde built to allow me to change up the models in the middle of the horde to vary the overall look of the unit. Only time will tell how well that all goes.


Brutox rear tease shot!

2 comments:

  1. Been a while since we saw the Butox of Death in action. Are any of the figures doing double duty for the Greek myths board game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some, the Centaurs ( two left to paint ), all the beasts mounted on round bases in the background and the Griffon who will act as a Chimera. All the rest will be purpose built for this army.

      Delete