Sunday 24 December 2017

On a Wing and a Prayer

Despite resolving to only work on the basic troops from the Mythic battles box I just had to get stuck into one of the larger models so I have mostly completed the Bellerophon on Pegasus model.



I still haven't decided on the basing scheme so the base will need to be completed once I have that worked out. The model looks really good and the painting went together well.


As I want the mortals to have a darker feel than the immortals Bellerophon was undercoated black whilst Pegasus had a grey undercoat. My feeling was that building up to a white finish from a black start would only make for extra work.

Mick also came around this week for a SAGA game and once again the Normans faced off against the Milites Christi. The scenario started with both warlords in the centre and the rest of the warband along opposing edges.

The Knights of Lazarus

The Normans
The Warlords each started with twelve wounds rather than the normal one and the winner was the first to kill the opposing Warlord or the one with the most wounds left after seven turns.
The Normans once again fielded a shooting heavy list so I decided to get some support troops upto my Warlord as quickly as possible so they could be sacrificed if needed.


The Normans had the same thought and the outcome of the initial central tussle was that the Normans lost a unit of mounted warriors and their Warlord suffering several wounds.


The Knights of Lazarus then saw off a second unit of mounted warriors for the loss of a unit of foot warriors and managed to get more wounds on the Norman leader.
Disaster struck however as the Norman finally got a good round of shooting in and killed 5 knights, this left the larger unit with only one man left.
With a comfortable lead in wounds inflicted the Knights of Lazarus decided that a tactical withdrawal was required and they took shelter behind a wood.



With the clock running down the Normans sent in the last of their cavalry and this was bravely met by three of the remaining knights who inflicted heavy casualties.



And so the game ended with the Norman leader down to four wounds and the Milites Christi leader not having taken a single wound. Some poor rolling on the shooting front and a couple of charmed saved rolls had allowed my warlord ( I really must think of a name for him ) to come through unscathed.

To round off another busy week I have also made some good progress on my Pagan Rus. As well as getting the whole warband stuck together I have also completed some of the hearthguard, a model I will be using as a priest and part of the warlords base.

Pagan Priest to the fore
The warlord will be having a slain enemy being used as a flag pole holder added to the back of his base. Once I have enough models completed to make it worthwhile I will be adding some Pollyfila and paint mix to the bases. These will then be flocked and have snow effect added as a last stage.



The shields have been done using the Little Big Men transfers and these have worked really well and they also provided the banners.



With SAGA 2 arriving at some point in February and only starting out with the Dark Ages era armies I'm looking to get the Rus all done before then. They should also be able to double as any of the other Viking style armies if required.



2 comments:

  1. Are the Normans the Conquest ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a mixture of Conquest, Gripping Beast ( metal & plastic ) and Black Tree I think.

      Delete