Saturday 4 June 2022

Deadzone: Battle for Magnetar City - The Tide is High

For our second game of the bank holiday weekend Mr T joined me again, this time to continue with the current Deadzone campaign. This weeks fight was set in the port district so instead of following the suggested additional rules I went with something home-brew. The Nameless are up to something in the port district which is changing the weather patterns, I suspect this is in order to submerge more of the planet under water.

For this fight the Nameless have activated some infernal device and the water level is rising rapidly so starting at the end of round 2 the sea level rises by one cube and anything on the level that is submerged is counted as being killed. This put's a hard limit on the number of turns the game will last as eventually there will be no safe cubes to be in. It also means the fighting area will be shrinking as the game goes on. I also put out 4 * 1 VP objectives on the lower levels and 2 * 2 VP objectives on the higher levels. 


In order to facilitate the mission I broke out my terrain risers and built for the skies and ended up with a board 8 cubes high, probably the highest I've played with.


Once again I went with the Veer-Myn and deployed the same list as the previous games.


1 * Master Creeper + Smoke Grenade
5 * Stalker
2 * Nightmare
1 * Night Terror with Spitter
2 * Malignus - Heavy Ray Gun
1 * Malignus - Chem Spitter
2 * Creeper


Mr T changed his Forge Fathers up a bit with the Chief Brokrr being dropped and the Steel Warrior Huscarl being brought in.


1 * Steel Warrior Huscarl
1 * Brokkr
2 * Militia
2 * Forge Guard
1 * Brakkarim - Hailstorm Cannon
1 * Magma Issilgarim
1 * Iron Ancestor - Twin Hailstorm Autocannon & Heavy Heat Hammer



Realising that gaining height was going to be crucial in this scenario we both started making the climb early on, but with my greater numbers I was able to jump on the 1 point objectives on the bottom layer and thus start scoring early on.



I was also able to swarm further up the stack as well and having knocked out a a couple of the Forge Fathers early on their scoring opportunities became more limited. They did manage to take out a fair few rats over the course of the game, but only 1 VP models.



As the waters kept rising the space for fighting became more restricted and both sides starting shooting less and fighting more. I did manage to blast a Steel Warrior off a platform and into the water with one of my Creepers, which whilst scoring me no VP's was rather satisfying. 



The game was then becoming really condensed and I'd managed to get both my Nightmare's onto a 2 VP objective and they managed to take out some more of the Forge Fathers. The Nightmare's have Frenzy (2) when armed with twin drills which means they can re-roll 2 dice in melee, this makes them very reliable.




With the waters lapping at their heels both sides had no option but to jump into the small amount of space left and by this time most of the Forge Fathers lay dead so the Veer-Myn took the victory 20 - 6.




No comments:

Post a Comment