Saturday 13 June 2020

Ostrogoth: Infantry Option

Even a strong cavalry army can benefit from some infantry support and in Kings of War it is often useful to have a unit or two that can sit on an objective or carry a token. Generally you'd want something cheap and durable or able to contribute from a distance to carry out this task.


With that in mind I've painted up four Troops of Bowmen, again using a Gripping Beast kit. Basing them as four Troops means I have the flexibility to use them as any of the unit sizes available in the Kingdoms of Men list. 


The Bowmen aren't anything special with a Range stat of 5+ (on a D6) and a Defence of 3+ meaning they won't be dealing much damage by themselves and cannot really take a punch back. However they are cheap and having a range of 24" means they can sit back on an objective and score some plink damage on your opponent.


The Gripping Beast models are very straightforward to paint and I did the whole Horde's worth at once. This meant I was able to do the entire lot in one week which is faster than I would normally be able to manage.


It also means I have almost painted up one of each unit type in the army apart from the other infantry type, the melee infantry. I still have plenty left to paint though as I need many more Regiments of cavalry to complete the army and some leaders as well.


The chaps are starting to look good together and the bonus of having lots of cheap units is the army should have a real massed ranks feel about it once it starting moving towards completion.


No comments:

Post a Comment