Saturday 20 June 2020

Ostrogoth: Infantry Option 2

This week we have another infantry option for the Ostrogoths and this time it is the melee troops.


So far I have completed a Regiments worth split into 2 Troops but I will be bringing them up to Horde strength once I complete the other Regiment. The models are again Gripping Beast plastics and I went with the Saxon Thegns box. As with the other boxes you get a good amount of models for your cash and lots of build options.



The Kingdoms of Men have plenty of infantry options so you can either go for a cheap token holder / carrier or something more expensive and more durable. I went with mostly spear armed troops for the unit to add some flexibility into what they could represent but also historically speaking most common infantry of this period fought with spears. Most likely they will be fielded as the ultra cheap Shield Wall or the more durable Foot Guard, though the option to field a Phalanx unit against an army fielding lots of fliers or cavalry is nice to have.


I also went with nine models per base which gives a nice full look to the unit and with the models on the rear Troop being slightly raised above the ones in front a bit of added depth.


As the box comes with 44 models in it I will also have some spares to make up some men to use in KoW: Vanguard should they be required.



I have also completed a second regiment of Knights ready to join the fray so could now field a Horde, if I was able to play.


The aim is to complete four Regiments of Knights so I've reached half-way on these ones but with still a fair amount of cavalry left to paint with the extra Knights and Sergeants still to complete.


A Horde of Knights packs a real punch with 32 attacks hitting on a 3+, of course it has a massive frontage as well. But now that you measure the charge range from anywhere on a units front edge it also has a much large threat range.



2 comments:

  1. Looks good. I'm still pondering more Byzantines at some point so the cataphracts are intersting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May be worth waiting for the Fireforge models, though I think their cataphracts may be resin, but the half-armoured cav are going to be plastic

      Delete