Sunday 13 January 2019

A Look Ahead

With nothing quite being completed this week on the painting front I thought I'd have a quick look ahead at the models I have incoming. Since becoming aware of Kickstarter I've backed a few projects and have been very happy with the results, you tend to get a really good deal for backing a company early but of course you need to be careful to avoid the dodgy deals and companies that never deliver.
At present I have three KSer projects I have backed and am awaiting completion, all of which in theory should deliver in the next 4-6 months.
The first of these is the re-issue of Mythic Battles:Pantheon. Having got the core set the first time around I decided to add some of the expansions this time which should give a few more maps to play on and lots more heroes and monsters to paint up.
Having seen the quality of the product the first hand this was an easy one to back and I cannot wait to get the new stuff.


The two big expansions are Poseidon & Hera with Poseidon looking like the most interesting one to play and paint. They should add a chance to try out some water bases with Scylla looking like a good model for a mini-project. Hera adds some interesting monsters and upgraded versions of old favourites Achilles and Heracles.


On the monster front I also picked up the Manticore who comes on the same size base as Hydra so promises to be a big model.

I can see scope for some of the models to make it into a Kings of War army though Mythic Battles is a fun game in itself.

The second KSer is being run by Mierce Miniatures who make excellent if somewhat expensive models and this one was rather an impulse buy. At the time the plan was to use the Starter Host set to fill out my KoW Herd Chariot Horde but this has now been done with GW miniatures.


I believe that all the bow armed models will be coming with a melee option as well so perhaps they could be made into either Lycan Hordes for KoW or counts as Ogres for a KoW: Vanguard army. At present I'm not sure but they should find their way onto a table at some point.

The final project I am waiting on is from Fireforge Games and this again was an impulse buy because I liked the look of the Undead Peasants so much. The range as a whole has a Game of Thrones vibe about it and being plastic kits they should offer plenty of chances to mix and match. The KSer is still accepting orders so there is still time to bag some models on the cheap.



The obvious use for these is  for KoW and KoW: Vanguard Undead armies and with some of the Nightstalker models I already have and perhaps the Werewolves from Mierce I probably have 2,500 points worth already.

The other option is for use with SAGA who will be bringing out an Age of Magic universe book which will bring large scale fantasy skirmishes to a really good set of rules. This may also offer a route for the Werewolves to hit the table as they are going to be including monster units, but we need to get the book to be sure.


All in all that should be a good amount of painting, basing and playing, so it would be madness to be even considering taking on an entirely fresh period and set of rules, I do like the sound of the French Indian Wars however and the Blood & Plunder rules look fun.....

2 comments:

  1. The Pegasus Knights are certainly tempting, as is some GOT meets Saga action

    ReplyDelete