Sunday 17 September 2017

Putting down a Marker

The first job in hand this week was to get on with completing the extra terrain and markers needed for the forthcoming KoW campaign. Having written up some introductory fluff I have also created some rules for the artifacts.


So from the fluff and the rules I needed to create three artifacts and three gates to take them to. The gates had been started last week and with the addition of a grey paint job, some Army Painter dip and a few basing bits they came together very quickly with little fuss.


I doubt they will be winning any terrain making awards but as they may only be used the once I am happy with the results / time spent balance.

I had also knocked out the three artifacts, in fact these had been done before the gates but I forgot to get any pictures done.




Again these took only a little effort and a quick search through my bits box furnished the needed parts. The sword made an outing last week when it was the largely ignored objective in a SAGA bloodbath.

The campaign is due to kick off next week with the Twilight Kin and Kingdoms of Men clashing in a 2000 point Invade scenario. I haven't yet seen what devilish list my brother has put together for his Arabian Nights themed army but I suspect cavalry will feature strongly and I know some flying carpets will be present.

This week would have been a good chance to practice my battle reporting skills by remembering to take pictures in my latest SAGA clash with Mick. Once again though I got wrapped up in the game so forgot.



Once again we played Anglo-Danish vs Vikings and this time the initial clashes proved decisive as on the Anglo-Danish left the Vikings push a unit of Warriors forward which got destroyed by a surprise attack by the AD warlord and a unit of Warriors.


With the AD right flank refused the Vikings pushed up but did not manage to engage before the Vikings Levy unit was wrecked by a AD Hearthguard unit and then the Viking Warlord was left exposed as he charged into the AD left flank and his support was stripped away buy a sacrificial Hearthguard unit which died in the process.


Once the Viking Warlord was dead the battle was effectively over, all of this happened in just a few short moves which reinforced the importance of not overextending your Warlord early in the game.

Mick and I also went to the Colours show put on by the Newbury Wargames club and he managed to pick up the remaining figures for his Normans so hopefully they should see the field of play in the near future. I had a less successful shopping spree as no one was stocking Gripping Beast models so I could not get the Byzantine Cavalry I needed, I did get the extra infantry models though.

No comments:

Post a Comment