Saturday 28 January 2023

Firefight: Hammer Time

This week marks the end of all the currently planned models for Firefight with the last unit of Forge Fathers I had to do. To round out the force I've added another command and melee option into the mix with the Thorgarim. As the official models had been out of production for a while I went with some more Abyssal Dwarfs from the Kings of War range to represent these. On the plastic models I swapped in some spare Steel Warrior heads but left the metal Huscarl as it was supplied. 


First up we have the Huscarl with his two bodyguards and you can see from his stats that whilst he has a bit of shooting it's really the melee with the forge hammer where these chaps shine. The Huscarl's Hammerstrike (1) aura is where he shines as this gives every unit within 12" Blast (2) on their assault weapons. As in Kings of War this means that each hit generates D2 wounds, so even an average melee unit suddenly becomes dangerous to fight. If used on a unit of 10 Thorgarim that gives a maximum of 40 wounds!





The normal Thorgarim share the same weapons as the Huscarl so whilst they can shoot a bit they really want to be getting into melee to deal real damage. 
I had planned to use some 3D printed hammers to have them all dual-wielding hammers but they proved rather brittle so had to change it up. Fortunately the plastic Abyssal Dwarf kit comes with the parts to build dual wielders so it was easy enough to make the models up.


I do like the burgundy on these chaps and as my next project will be to paint up some actual Abyssal Dwarfs I can see that being carried over onto the new army.



I also got some bases in from Warbases this week to mount the vehicles on. The rules don't call for them to be mounted but I think they look better this way.



No comments:

Post a Comment