Sunday 18 November 2018

Shades of Black

More creatures from the darkest dreams have slithered off the painting blocks this week as I completed some Phantoms and Horrors.


The Phantoms are flying warriors who boast no special abilities and aren't that fast but could be useful on boards with lots of terrain.


The Horrors are earth bound but do have the special of giving other models nearby the Vicious rule which allows them to reroll 1's to hit in melee. So they would look to be a good support model for heavier hitters.



This week I also took delivery of some custom bases from Warbases to use to mount the Vanguard troops for use in a full size KoW battle.


It took them only a week to turn my drawing into a product I had in my hand and at a very reasonable cost of less than £2 a base. I drew up two designs both of which featured five 20mm squares, one 25mm * 50mm cav hole and then either a 40 or 50 mm hole.


I have made some progress on getting them table ready but realised I needed some blank bases in order to fill the gaps if I use the Phantoms as they are on 25mm bases. The idea works pretty well with the models being a good tight fit so they should be easy to use in a proper game.


The Vanguard Kickstarter also came with some objective markers to use with the various scenarios and I have been getting some ready for use in our forthcoming practice games.


I haven't spent loads of time on these but they seem to have come together pretty well and should look good on the table once we get playing.


I have also been working away on the Giant and wondered how he compared up to the other large models I already have, well the answer is he towers over them and deserves the capital G in his name.


Since doing the comparison I have made a small amount of progress on getting him ready but have mainly concentrated on the Nightstalkers.


Back on the Nightstalker front I also received the resin models from the Kickstarter at the third attempt so now have all the models for the Warband. As a result of being sent a couple of incorrect army packs I also now have many more NS models than I anticipated. In fact I have 75 extra Scarecrow / Spectre models and five each of the Horror, Phantom, Butcher, Reaper, and Shadowhound models. This would seem to be enough to field a decent sized army if I add some hero and monster types.

Mick and I also managed to squeeze in another scenario from the Mythic Battles book which saw Ares and chums controlled by Mick descend to the underworld to take on Hades controlled by myself.



The objective was for Ares to destroy four stones ( meant to be pillars supporting the roof of Hades ) whilst Hades attempted to stop him. The scenario had a turn limit so Ares could not afford to hang around too much.


After taking an early lead by using ranged attacks to destroy three of the stones Hades turtled up on the last one and managed to hold off Ares to run the clock down, in fact I did manage to kill Ares on the very last turn of the game.


I didn't take many photos of this one but it was good to get some units we hadn't used before out onto the board.

No comments:

Post a Comment