Sunday 14 January 2018

Norse Focus

This week I put the finishing touches on my Norse force for SAGA v2. The plan is to be able to use them as one of the several Norse factions being released along with the new rules. At the least this should mean being able to field them as Vikings, Pagan Rus or Jomsvikings.
Without knowing what abilities will be present on the new battleboards it is difficult to say what a good army composition will be so I assembled some extra troops to cover what I expect the basics to be for each army.
The final part for this army was a few coats of spray on matt varnish to help seal the snow and static grass onto the base. With that done the Norse are ready to take to the field of battle.
The Warlord went onto a larger base so I could fit a corpse 'standard bearer' on as well and a V&V miniatures female Viking has been drafted in to act as a Priest if / when one is fielded.
The colour palette for the army is red, blue, green, & white with different tones for the different ranks of troops.

Warlord from the Jomsviking range

Banner Lady / Priest from V&V miniatures

The 16 Hearthguard are mainly Gripping Beast Jomsviking and Pagan Rus with a few extras from Fireforge and I went with the same rich tones and bronze highlights that I used on the Warlord and Priest.




The 32 Warriors are again mostly Gripping Beast Jomsviking and Pagan Rus metal figures with some extras from the plastic Dark Age Warrior kit. The kit gave a good range of armements and heads but the range of body poses isn't great.



For the Warriors I used a slightly duller palette and left out the bronze touches on the armour. As it was Christmas when I did much of the painting a few early Santa types made it into the army.



For ranged troops the Norse armies need to rely on Levy troops so I made up one unit of archers and one of javelinmen. For these troops I used the darkest palette and tried to minimize the amount of metal on show.







I spent the rest of my hobby time this week putting together some new 4Ground fences and huts which can be seen lurking the background of the photos and also doing some prep work for some corn field scenery I want to make.
Progress also continues on the Greek mythology models from Mythic Battles: Pantheon with my first attempt at fire effects on the Phoenix.




The beak was a little wonky on the model but the actual flame effect has come out pretty well. I need to make a decision on the basing scheme soon for these models as the number of almost completed figures is now growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment